Go Back   chairTalk > Getting to work > Cutting

Cutting The basics to the latest

Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
mrfhnl

Default thanks but no thanks

A very nice and supportive and helpful stylist at work today who is amazing at color and straight hair and is always willing to give me advice and guidance offered to teach me some curly techniques as well. "For instance", he said, "wait until I teach you the bricking technique!"

Um, thanks, but I've had that done to me and it's a nightmare! I was very polite and thanked him and told him I knew of it.

Can't wait for more real curly training!
mrfhnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Amanda Statham

I am only vaguely familiar with the "bricking technique". However, from what I understand it involves using texturizing shears to minimize bulk. Differant hair requires differant techniques. Very thick and coarse hair might be able to withstand more texturizing than thinner or fine hair. Often thick and fine hair is more easily confused for thick and coarse hair. Sometimes thinning curly hair can make it "fluffier" so it depends on the desired look. Also, it greatly depends on the texturizing shears themselves. There are many various types. I would suggest if you wanted to try elements of this techique use shears with a smaller amount of removal on thick/coarse long hair. I am personally a big fan of dry cutting. It allows me to see the movement and flow of the hair from the scalp as well as specific texture for the individual. It gives me the ability to watch my work in progress so I can make adjustments accordingly.
Amanda Statham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Amanda Statham

I got more insight on the "bricking technique". Still I stand by the inability to see the hairs texture for the individual wet. I prefer to "carve out" the curls in a slicing manner in the direction of each curl to get more seperated look.
Amanda Statham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Garnett

*runs to look up "bricking technique"*
Garnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
RDLM

I tell all clients that each ringlet is with their friends. When texturizing shears are used, you take away half the friends. The ringlets gets pissed, then frizzes. I have curly hair and the only reason I specialize in it was because I used my poor head as a test dummy. Thinning shears are NO BUENO. Might work for a bit, but does not grow out well. I think individually taking each ringlet and cutting it with the direction of the curl in my mind works better. However I always tell people that it's all about finding the stylist whose style works for them.
RDLM is offline   Reply With Quote