Old 06-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
mrfhnl

Default a hot mess

I had a client the other day who has been flat ironing her hair for a very long time. She came to me flat ironed--I told her she was in disguise!
I co-washed, styled and dried her and the back of her head, ear to ear, came out in beautiful spiraled ringlets. The front and sides of her head, however, were wavy/straight sprigs that stuck out and would not respond to any curly technique. I ended up doing some pin curls to blend it better but given she was also so very thin in the front, she ended up leaving discouraged and in a style that looked like she rolled out of bed.
I encouraged her that with proper care and staying away from the flat iron her hair had hope to recover and hopefully would respond the way the back did. I felt terrible that she left the salon sad about how her hair looked instead of at the very least having a style she could be happy with while her hair recovered.
mrfhnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Tiffany

You know, flat-ironing over a long period of time kills the elasticity in hair. I think you are amazing that you even got her curls to respond to the extent that they did!

If she commits to putting down the iron, her hair should recover over time, but she needs to understand she put the damage there, not you!
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
mrfhnl

I know, and I think she did as well. She wasn't upset with me but I felt like a crummy stylist not being able to make her hair look better even on a superficial level. But I could not bring myself to put a curling iron to her hair and I couldn't imaging doing a half head of pin curls!!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
Tiffany

When I was in beauty school, I used to refer to pin curls and finger waves as "the devil's hairdos"
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
mrfhnl

Ha!! That's the truth!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
*COLLEE*

Yuck, pincurls. It just makes me think of having to do shampoo sets on doll heads...
It can be hard to explain to curlies that have flat ironed their hair for a long time that the curls wont just bounce back today.
*COLLEE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
mrfhnl

Default update

My client came in again last evening and there was SUCH an improvement in her curl pattern in the front!!! She stayed away from the flat iron like I suggested and her curls are really responding!! I was so happy for her and she left so much happier than she did last time! Yipee!!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Nick-Calg

Good to hear her curls are coming back. In all the years of doing hair, most people don't realize they put more stress on the front and top of their head. As well, everyone has hair thats thicker and curlier in back as there is less length and less damage.
What I try to give a client is balance: Use a curl enhancing product or products for the top and front. If you need, do a mock pincurl with bobby pins on wet hair. For the back add some smoothing balm to that area, you need to relax the curls there. Dry the hair under a bonnet dryer or use a diffuser on low. Presto! She should have even curls front to back, top to bottom.
Hope some of this helps
Nick-Calg is offline   Reply With Quote