Go Back   chairTalk > Running the business > Salon Owners

Salon Owners Salon owners, discuss your challenges/successes here

Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
curlywoman

Cool new help

How should we advertise that we are looking for a new stylist BUT we want them to be trained or want them to train in curly hair cutting?
curlywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
patrikalan

Thumbs up Here to save the day( hopefully)

As a salon owner myself that had the same concern, just put the ad out there; looking for new talent, blah, blah, blah, needs to have a desire for continuous education, blah, blah, blah... then when the interviewer arrives that is when set your expectaions for them in detail. if they seem not to be groovin' then NEXT!!! Hope that this helped you in some way. By doing it this way I have a full salon of stylist that are curl trained and they love it.
patrikalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Michelle
Administrator

We will soon have the capability to advertise for stylists. It should be available later this month.

michelle
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
hairbycin

Default New help

I have the same problem! I have been open a year and cannot find anyone worthy of my 2 chairs! I want someone who uses GOLDWELL COLOR, cuts curly hair, wants to learn new techniques and continue education!! I find stylists who say they have a Full clientele and DONT! or these NEW kids out of school who cant even blow dry!! I am so frusterated. I have tried CRAIGSLIST,ad in local newspaper, Reps,salonjobs.com etc.. all I get is weirdos!! I am in Long Beach, CA if you know anyone GREAT, please send my way!
Thanks,
Cindy
CHILL SALON & GALLERY
5375 E. 2ND ST. 1A
LONG BEACH, CA 90803
562-433-4888
myspace.com/chillsalon
hairbycin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
frnchfml

Default Help!

Can someone tell me HOW to get trained to work with curly hair??? I live in a small town in Virginia, only one cosmetology school. I am an apprentice, but the salon owner DOES NOT know how to even cut curly hair. I have a mannequin with curly hair but no one to teach me. HELP!
frnchfml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
yvictoria56

Not really sure if your states do this but before I would interview a stylist I would check to see what year they got their license by typing in their name and license number. At least that way I knew when they got their license and knew for sure they weren't beginners. As for references, I would almost always ask them to include at least one of their long term clients.

I ran into a bunch of crazies at first but I later learned how to sift through them. I also went to the beauty schools in my area to check to see if they knew of any of their students who had already completed school was looking for a job. I kept a close relationship with one of the teachers at a particular school and she would let me know when there was someone good looking for a job.

I must say though, one of my best stylists is a referral from the teacher mentioned and she had just finished school. At the time, she was super excited about working, a go-getter, very reliable, and just wanted to "do hair!" Love her to death! Some times, the more experienced ones are harder to find because they are more established. You may have to branch out to find the diamond in the rough.

Good luck!

ETA: Just noticed this post was old.

frn - I learned by watching countless videos and experimenting on my hair first.
yvictoria56 is offline   Reply With Quote