Clipper Guy: 5 Tips for Clippering Longer Hair
by Ivan Zoot/The Clipper Guy on Monday, July 19, 2010
Ivan Zoot is the director of education and customer engagement for the Andis Company and the founder of Zoot! Hair professional hair care products. Ivan identifies, recruits, trains and manages Andis’ team of professional beauty industry educators. Ivan continues to be a featured presenter at industry shows and events, sharing his unique blend of information, education and enthusiasm for clipper cutting and the entire professional beauty industry. Ivan’s background includes experiences ranging from salon ownership to achieving 3 Guinness World Haircutting records.
I am ClipperGuy, always talking clipper cutting. Despite my efforts, too many people associate clipper cutting with very short hair cuts. This is not the case. I support this position with the following top five tips for why clipper cutting is great for longer hair lengths … especially longer lengths of curly and wavy hair.
1. Clipper cutting is fast: High blade speeds and all that cutting power makes for short work of longer-length cutting. In a productivity-based business … time is money. You can safely and accurately cut larger sections of hair. Textured hair is less dependent on precision sectioning in the first place. Let the texture work to your advantage.
2. Clipper cutting is easy: Once you have a few key pointers on unique skills of clipper cutting, even more novice hair cutters can run away with clipper cutting. Learn elements like hand gripping, comb selection and blade positioning and you are ready.
3. Clipper cutting is safer: 22 fast-moving clipper blades are infinitely safer than a single slow razor or a pair of wicked scissor blades.
4. Clipper cutting is healthier: Service providers in our industry are plagued by repetitive motion injuries. Let the tool do the hair and the stressful work. Clippers do the cutting. The motor moves the blades. It is easier, cheaper and far more painless to buy a new clipper. A new arm is not a great option.
5. Clipper cutting is gentle: The fast, smooth and clean cutting action of sharp and properly lubricated clipper blades is easier on the hair. Razors can pull hair and shred the cuticle. They are generally not a great choice for most curly textures. Scissors are the old standard, but 22 of them in a row, powered by a motor, is a nice upgrade.
Are you clipper cutting longer lengths of hair? Come see me and members of the Andis team at shows and events. We are always looking to show clipper cuts that are not what most think of as clipper cuts. Long curly and wavy hair is a great example of this.