• Bookmark and Share

Gray Hair Means Green

by Trash Talk with Anna Craig on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Mature lady in a suit talking on a cellphone

Long gone are the days of roller sets but the champagne blondes and the caramel browns are here to stay. Years ago when I got out of beauty school, a friend told me to go work by the local university to get all the cool college students as my clients. But there is no money in 19 to 22 year olds. I wanted their mothers and their mother’s mothers, the clients with gray hair. My clients’ ages are a broad spectrum, but a huge percentage are Baby Boomers. They have a consistent income, they want to cover their gray and they need to look polished and professional constantly. Having a client who only comes in once or twice a year when they stumble upon money or when their parents help out does not build up your clientele. You want a client that comes in every 3 or 4 weeks to keep their look maintained.

When I have a client that is starting to get more gray, I know that they will be making an investment in their appearance. I suggest that they come in every 3 or 4 weeks for maintenance. The first appointment will be to get a Halo Highlight (5 to 6 foils), a root-touch up and a haircut. The next time I see them, 3 or 4 weeks later, I will just do a root-touch up. This keeps the client on a schedule; they never have to worry about their gray showing and your books will be full. I also suggest that they lighten their hair a bit to help make the line of demarcation a little more subtle. Once your client realizes that you have a plan for them and their looks, they will be yours forever. Most of my clients like this book for a year or two at a time — they want to know that they are on my books every three weeks so their gray is covered. They are the most reliable clients because they do not want to be caught with “horrible” gray roots. Always talk to them about vacations and other occasions they might have coming up to make sure their appointments are aligned — their hair should always look good!

Making sure that your clients are always pre-booked and are coming in more often will fill up your books and your wallet. If you let your clients leave and say, “Call me,” there is a chance that they will never come back. Always set out a plan for your clients, their hair and the future of their look. Gray hair might be bad for your clients, but it is always good for you, because you will definitely be seeing that client more often. My rule of thumb for my clients with more than 30% gray: always use 20vol, always leave the color on for 45 minutes and always use at least half Neutral in any formula for optimal gray coverage. This will guarantee full gray coverage for perfect results.

37 Comments for “Gray Hair Means Green”
  1. by Anna Craig

On June 15, 2012 at 9:00 am

I would like to set the record straight and start out by apologizing for the misunderstanding. I was not trying to insult anyone with gray hair. There are so many women out there with gorgeous gray hair and I have dozens of clients who stay naturally gray. This article was for Stylists who are looking to build up their clientele. People are always surprised when they meet me that I don’t specialize in blue hair and Mohawks and that I actually have an older more conservative clientele. I would never force or talk anyone into color their hair unless that is what they came to me about. I was talking about my clientele who come to see me to cover their gray hair up and want to have color done to their hair. I have several clients who I have helped transition into their natural gray. I would never insult or belittle someone who did not want to color their hair. The photo was not chosen by me, I do not pick out the pictures the website does that, all I do is submit my articles. This was simply an article for professionals on how to build up a clientele and about a specific target market. Please accept my apology for any misunderstandings.

2. by lindyk

On June 15, 2012 at 9:04 am

I found your article very informative and interesting, especially since my picture was used…it certainly caught my attention! This was taken when I colored my hair a dark blonde. Those days are gone..I am now a natural, glorious silver, with long curly hair. I understand 100% that you are in a business to make woman look good and feel good about their appearance..however, I feel I need to point out to you that silver, gray, salt and pepper is not horrid or ugly and shame on you for suggesting to a client that in order to ‘look good’ they must cover up what could be flattering, striking and beautiful. Silver hair still requires regular haircuts, conditioning, etc. which requires the skill of an experienced hairdresser like yourself. I think you are missing the boat and a valuable clientele when you discourage a woman by giving her the impression that she will only be beautiful if she colors her hair. Google silver hair and see what you find…a world of awesome woman who are embracing their silvers and are looking for a hairdresser who will support them with their choice. Babyboomers by the way have a lot of money to spend…

3. by Cairelle

On June 15, 2012 at 9:58 am

Wow, really? I understand that stylists have to make a living and I can appreciate the suggestion to put effort into recruiting a clientele that overall tends to have more money, but are you really okay with so blatantly stating that you make your living off of women’s insecurities about their aging process? Baby Boomer women and the older women of Gen X are already undervalued enough by society as it is, but I think people forget, in addition to us having a better income - you know, the money you’re so striving to get ahold of - that we also network like crazy. Hundreds and hundreds of confident Silver Sisters have now been linked to this article - an article that only contributes to the destructive ageism attitude that is so prevalent in our society. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for suggesting that gray is horrible. It is NOT horrible. When it’s not peeking out by a quarter inch from under that fake color that never quite looks real, when it’s appreciated and cared for and allowed to grow, gray hair in all its forms - white, silver, steel, salt and pepper, and more - is amazing and gorgeous.

My suggestion to you would be to encourage other stylists to be open-minded to the mothers and mothers’ mothers who may want to explore the option of going natural. The woman whose picture you used for this article - a picture taken when she was blonde - is now unbelievably stunning in all her long and curly silver glory and I know for a FACT that when other women see her, they express desire to let their own silver hair grow, oftentimes only to be cut down by their own stylist who tells them it’s a horrible idea. Shame, shame on the industry for that attitude.

For me, after increasing itching and burning, and finally a painfully blistered scalp (and that was with quality product at my salon), going natural was the best thing I’ve ever done. My hair is gorgeous, I don’t look “old” - I look like I’m meant to look - and I still see my stylist every 4-6 weeks for maintenance because silver requires expert knowledge to keep it stunning. I also refer people to her because she truly cares about me as a person, she cared about my feelings during my exploration of transitioning to silver, she supported me through my transition and she is my biggest cheerleader. She values me as a PERSON and not a BLANK CHECK. For those reasons, I refer other women to her - women like me with money to spend - and some of them still color and some of them don’t but either way I know they won’t ever be told by her that their hair choices are horrible.

4. by 2Labs2Many

On June 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Wow, what an incredibly offensive article.

Let me get this straight - you see your clients as only a way to increase your revenue and you plan their dependence by playing on their insecurities or even creating them where there are none and then take it a step further by working with them to establish a plan to keep them in your salon chair for the maximum amount of visits rather than what really might work best for them.

No thanks. I’m glad I have a stylist that supports and works what I want to do with my hair - color or natural, long or short, straight or curly - and doesn’t coerce me into services I may not want simply to fill her calendar and pockets.

5. by bourgeaudesign

On June 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm

First off, you’ve just fired up a beehive that you need to be called out on. First, be accountable and apologize to the beautiful silver fox that you have shown her photo without asking her permission. Second, be accountable and apologize for offending the many silver foxes (like me) who care more about their health and beauty by not dumping chemicals on our BRAINS and our SKIN every month just so you can see green. And by the way, yesterday I walked into my local flexitarian cafe and the FOUR young women (owner and employees) all looked at me and shouted “YOU LOOK GREAT! I love your hair longer because it makes you look younger!”. Oh yeah, I am happily silver as silver can be and while I do not disrespect the women who choose to color and cut on a regular basis…I expect the same respectful courtesy from hair stylists like you. While I do not agree with hair coloring anymore, it is my choice and you have your choices. I don’t walk around touting how I can make myself “green” by exploiting others to think they have to be something I conjure up in my head. Be a grown up and apologize and stop trying to change women. Let us be who we are and what we feel is best for us. I happen to have made my choice to no longer color my hair because of rampant cancer in my family. I’m sure the healthcare industry is feeling your “green” off of the deaths of lovely women in my family that I now miss. There are a helluva lot more sides to your green coin my dear.

6. by sklightcap

On June 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Whoa there, girlfriend, you’re really missing the boat with the point of view you’ve expressed in this article! Millions upon millions of women are deliberately choosing to fly their silvers, no thanks to you, and we plan to continue doing so. Why? Why don’t we conform to the stereotype that refers to silver hair as “horrible”, as you do in your article?

Because we are claiming ourselves, our authentic selves. We do have money, we do care about our looks, we do take care of our bodies, we do lead interesting and fulfilling lives. We love being the ages we are, and we do so without apology.

I love my stylist. She is smart, hip, and supportive of my choice to wear my hair long, curly, and its natural color. I feel sexy with long, silvery hair, as I never did when I was frantically trying to cover every bit of gray with color that was in near constant need of touching up. I went home from coloring sessions with my scalp burned and itching; my hair required constant deep replenishing treatments so that it didn’t look like straw, and I was forever anxious about it.

You need to wake up. You’re dissing and, frankly, offending a huge demographic!

7. by Doodle

On June 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm

After reading this article, I know that this stylist would never be my stylist. What a mercenary, short sighted attitude!
    For years, I colored my silver hair, enduring scalp itch and insecurity when my roots started to show 3 weeks later. I found I was looking longingly at the beautiful silver hair of women I would pass on the street. I finally said “enough”, and decided to join their ranks. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.
    I had to go through the fears of my friends and co-workers, who, when I told them of my decision, exclaimed “Don’t do it, you’ll look too old!”
    I now have a beautiful head of thick, lustrous silver hair, and I LOVE it. I have a stylist who I have been with for over 10 years, and who loves my natural color. Best of all, I am now one of those women who gets stopped all the time by people who tell me how beautiful my hair is.
    You might want to rethink your position on gray hair, Anna. There’s a powerful movement of women reclaiming their right to silver. Helping women to work with, not against, their natural hair color could also help improve your bottom line.

8. by GorgeousWithGray

On June 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I’m a naturally curly woman who appreciates the benefits of using the correct products and regular haircuts for keeping my look ‘polished’ as you mentioned above. I would also like to mention that I decided to stop coloring my hair over 5 years ago.

I rather like my natural look as do many other “grays” who are also beautiful and confident woman. I’m wondering what your clients would say about how they fit into your ‘for profit’ business model. More importantly, I wonder what they would say if they knew what you actually thought about them.

My sense from your Trash Talk Article is that you have a very narrow view of what is beautiful. My hope is that as you grow in age AND in wisdom, that you are able adjust to that eventuality in your own life with grace and maturity. We have.

9. by alicky

On June 15, 2012 at 12:48 pm

My hair started graying when I was 18 y.o. Now, at the age of 29 my hair is all snowy white, pure glossy, shimmering white.
    My husband loves it, and often strangers on the street approach me and tell me that I have a beautiful hair.
    There you go !!!

10. by mhoward

On June 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Wow. I was very, very turned off by this article. It embodies everything I would NEVER want in a stylist. It is negative and selfish and any stylist that takes this advise would be very foolish. I believe today, more than ever, REAL WOMEN are embracing who they are “Naturally” - and this industry would do better to prepare for that. If you are out to SELL something - SELL something the “Gray By Choice” client wants! Sell the style, sell product to meet the special needs of people who have gray hair (texture, etc). Don’t push or degrade people who choose to be comfortable in their own skin! How small of this organization or business. What a narrow view! I love my natural salt and pepper and any stylist that tried to make me feel bad about that choice (and a couple have) - would be history in my books.

11. by mhoward

On June 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm

And… Isn’t it illegal to use someones photo without permission… Especially in advertising?

12. by bboop25

On June 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I find this article rather offensive, as a baby boomer with salt and pepper hair that I have had MANY people, YOUNG AND OLD, tell me is gorgeous. You may want to re-think your strategies with baby boomers. In any case, I totally agree with all the comments above, particularly GorgeousWithGray’s.

13. by ThePerfectWord

On June 15, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I have run my own business for 16 years. And although not a salon business, I know what the relationship SHOULD be between owner and client/customer. It SHOULD be one of honestly wanting to help your client/customer first and concerned most of all with what they want and what is best for them. (If it’s possible, I actually tell my clients if there is less expensive way to do something than what they’ve asked for.) Sure, we need to make money to live and pay the bills, but that shouldn’t be the focus. Focus first on the REAL needs of your clients/customers, not on their insecurities or how much money you can make. THAT will endear them to you and provide wonderful, honestly-gained clientele, their continued business, and many referrals.

Nothing wrong with honestly telling a client that the look they want may not be right for them due to their face shape, hair texture, or the amount of time they want to spend on their style each day. For those turning gray, give them the option of coloring, highlighting to blend in the gray as it grows in, or leaving as-is. But to play on their fears (or assumed fears) to make money? That’s just not right. You may not have meant it that way, but that’s the way it comes across.

14. by Silverbelle

On June 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Anna, why do you refer to gray as “horrible”? Why is coloring the only way for a woman to invest in her appearance and maintain a polished and professional appearance? Silver hair requires just as much, IF NOT MORE, maintenance and care. I am grateful that I lived to the point that I have a healthy head full of silvery gray hair and my hair salon helps me to keep it glorious rather than coerce me into a schedule of dyeing and covering up. I am always gratified by the frequent compliments that I get on my silver hair from both other women and men (sometimes MUCH younger men)!

15. by nervavels

On June 15, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I can definitely state that whatever my income level, I shan’t be visiting any salon that suggests I cover my grey. I covet, crave, desire my grey. I love how it makes me feel, how it brings me a certain gravitas I otherwise do not display. I call it silver, grey or white, but it is precious to me. Now, I shall, once I go completely grey, color it bright electric blue (I shall be able to get away with that then!) but otherwise… I am rather miffed that being grey is considered something to or change. It is insulting, in fact, to me, that I must ‘appear’ younger. Bother that poppycock! Grey means wisdom and we should honor that. I certainly shall.

16. by Tina MM

On June 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm

This really is an offensive article in which you come across as only interested in the money to be made. There is a large and growing section of the population who have chosen to embrace the colour they have naturally. We do not look “horrible” and still have ample amounts of money to spend on looking “greyt”. We buy chic clothes, shoes, jewelry and spend money in salons. Maybe not yours….

I am also curious why, instead of pirating an image which you had no association with, you did not use pictures of your own clients. It would be far more respectful and truthful.

On a final note, like many of the women who have commented on this article I have found that in stopping colouring I have engendered many more positive comments than I ever had on my previous dyed hair. From women and from men…and yes much younger men!

17. by sun

On June 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Anna, I think you are old fashioned … I love the silver

18. by lvmygrdn

On June 15, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Anna, I’m very disappointed that you feel the way to make “Green” is to play into the fears of many women. I hope you think about what you wrote here. There is a very large population of gray haired women, young and old that you are poo pooing. Women with money to spend in salons that care about their clients, not just looking to make the next buck.

19. by silver and loving it

On June 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I got my first grey hair when I was 15. I started coloring when I was 34 and colored for 13 years. That was enough. Pouring chemicals on my head every 3 1/2 weeks so no one would see the roots was bondage. I was a slave to other people’s ideas of beauty, such as yours, and a slave to salons or ‘the bottle’.

I am surprised that one who seems so knowledgeable as you do really thinks grey hair is bad. It is beautiful. Your ideas are clearly off base. And, btw, the tone of your article is snarky and avaricious.

Really caring about your clients would be better for them and you and that would mean that some would want to stay on the color-go-round and some would not.

I feel so judged by you. But you don’t have the right to judge me by your standards. You live your life and let me live mine. I may have agreed with you when I was 20 but at 53, I am over it. One day, you will have some gorgeous silver-headed woman walk by and you will realize that your attitude was very marginalizing. I hope that day is soon.

I wish I could find a curly shop in my town, but we have none. And I wouldn’t go to you and hear the sneer. As to your site, after this, I don’t feel comfortable with your site. Too bad.

20. by silver and loving it

On June 15, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Oh, two other things. First, some women pay for highlights…mine is naturally highlighted!

Second, I believe it is illegal to use a photo for which you have no permission.

21. by Greyisok!

On June 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I agree with all the comments above.

I believe a picture says a 1000 words - so take a look at these two YouTube videos Anna. I think you’ll change your mind when you see these beautiful grey/silver-haired women - who are illuminated, sassy, chic, confident and empowered!

Maybe you will do another article promoting the beauty of grey/silver hair? We are not saying that women shouldn’t dye their hair - we just want choice and balance. We are ‘worth it too’!

22. by sun

On June 15, 2012 at 4:50 pm

By the way the girl is dyed blond, maybe that’s why you see green
    Gray hair could be yellow but not green.
    You really are a expert
    professional?

23. by brunettebabewithsilverhighlights

On June 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Really??? This article is dreadful. You come across as a money-grabbing bully who insults people to make them feel bad so they will pay you to ‘fix’ them. I used to think grey hair should be dyed when I was, like, 18 and still dumb. Now I’m starting to get my own silver streaks I’m embracing it and I appreciate other women who are brave enough let it grow and leave it natural. Yes, grey roots do look wrong. Stop dyeing. Problem solved! Dyed hair looks fake and tacky, is bad for your health and costs a fortune. All the money saved from not dyeing can spent on beautiful clothes, make up, sports and other activities! It’s a no brainer!

24. by One who escaped... people like Anna

On June 15, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I recommend people who care about women and beauty to do some homework about gray hair (in all its amazing variations).

Going Gray and Looking Great website is a great place to start. There are many other sources, such as http://style.lifegoesstrong.com/article/gray-hair-might-make-you-look-better?obref=obinsite

My hair stylist Jennifer has beautiful, colored hair. And she has been so enthusiastic helping me transition from the bottle to my nature white, silver, and gray. I appreciate her so much and will be forever loyal. She helped me to get free when it was time to leave the hair dye behind and I’ve recommended many friends to her - some who color and some who don’t.

I hope everyone will build business by helping women reach their own goals and, along the way, they will grow in courage, confidence, and freedom. That is beauty.

25. by delaine

On June 15, 2012 at 6:28 pm

OMG!!!! I really can’t believe you actually wrote this article!! You have really got some nerve insulting such a large group of beautiful women…and over money!! I’m afraid this might not work out the way you planned…sorry!! If I were you, I would at least apoligize, and I hope you learn a lesson from this. Be careful what you say!!

26. by Ashley0565

On June 15, 2012 at 6:36 pm

You know there’s a huge market out there for products for silver hair. For women who are weary of trying to be something they are not. There is potential “green” in that. Nothing wrong with wanting to make money, but I do believe that a trend is developing … and that would be women rebelling against the “slavery” of dyed hair and those dad gum roots. They want to be themselves, and look good doing it. Seriously check into it. I bet the women would come flocking to you, if you tried to make what they already are, look better, rather than covering it up. Everyone gives up the “cover up” eventually, anyway.

27. by Silvergrizzly

On June 15, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Ms. Craig, checked out your website and your FB page and was totally amazed that someone with your free-spirited style is so “down” on those ladies who choose both to live chemical free and totally express their genuine beauty by being grey. As you can see from the comments above not only are these ladies grey and proud, but also loud. Just pray that they do not descend upon your Facebook page like a flight of silver haired Valkyries. You would find yourself quivering amongst your bottles of dye wondering why you chose to trash talk about them. Oh, and the beautiful lady pictured above is most precious to me…I think an apology is in order. Thus speaks this old Silver Grizzly a lover of all things radiant and rare like my beloved silver tresses ladies.

28. by silver rapunzel

On June 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Wow!Can’t believe someone could be so narrow minded in this day and age.. I’m silver with hip length hair and people stop me on the street to make comments.Because of hair stylists like you I chose to grow long and silver,I now cut my own hair and it is so much thicker and shinier than when it was coloured that brassy brown you salons like to call “caramel “.My hubbie loves my hair now and I spend my cash on so many other more positive things than chemicals that are linked to cancer and hours in a salon chair.

29. by ivyleagueink

On June 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm

oh my. this article is quite disturbing. a bright red flag in a world where beauty comes in all colors, textures and styles. the woman you have chosen as your “model” happens to be a stunning silver haired lady with obviously a lot more class than you. i am curious if she has given you permission to use her photo for a cause that she herself does not condone?
    for you to say how your business savvy preys on those who may not need or care to have regularly scheduled appointments, just to fill your wallet is deplorable.
    perhaps it would serve you well to enlighten yourself and consider the growing group of women who have come to embrace their grey hair and look damn good doing it! my hair stylist was on board with me 100%. she is an expert in curly hair, uses products with no sulfates and would certainly not try to sway me from my decision to stop the damage cause from hair dye. i see her regularly because i WANT to, not because she is eyeing my wallet!

30. by Silver Mare

On June 15, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Wow - you may want to re-think how you see your clients! I am 54, and love my natural color hair, which is white in the front and black in the back. I am constantly stopped and asked who colors my hair; it is so shiny and the colors in my hair are so stunning. I let them know my color is compliments of ‘mother nature’. Very negative article you have written - you may want to educate yourself on all the beautiful silver haired women and men out there!

31. by POLLY

On June 16, 2012 at 6:14 am

Colour has no bearing on looking professional. The most elegant, polished and professional looking woman I ever saw had salt and pepper hair in a French twist. Clothes and posture also help, but dying does not.

My mother’s original stylist had the same idea as you, but after years of that kind of treatment her hair is falling out. She can’t dye it or have any kind of chemical treatment. Her new stylist just does a wash and cut and my mother’s hair is pure white. Let’s hope you are not sued by your present clients in the future because by the sound of it you’ll need plenty of cash.

32. by scottmusgravehair

On June 16, 2012 at 8:00 am

What I have been working on over the past 2 years is a focus on helping clients TRANSITION from flat irons, str8 hair products and Str8 hair cutting techniques into a world of Curly Hair Thinking. It requires a whole new skill level, a rapport of trust and, over time, experience to have the confidence to be able to help others transition. It is a very small area of our profession.

If you do not have the experience of helping others transition you will fall back into the skill level you have and keep clients where they are at (some happy) and many (now) will be very frustrated with the industry in not knowing how to fulfill the growing criteria for what is important to the client who desires transition.

This article seems to be very much in line with a narrow approach to keeping clients stuck in what the stylist is incapable of doing. It is a ‘personal’ approach that is incongruent with what I feel is “Natural” for Naturallycurly.com. Sad thing is, with a lot of stylist not having a Transitional Approach to working with Silver or Curly hair, this kind of “trash talk” can dominate a salon environment and keep many stylists perspective very limited to what is a huge business.

I had a goal of 100 new Transitional Services this year and from LISTENING to what clients want and desire I reached my goal by the end of May 2012. I have a chance of doubling my goal BECAUSE the industry is more concerned with what the stylists needs and wants are OVER what the clients needs and desires are. For stylist who want to break out of the industry box and become a specialist, you will have no where but up to go. But it requires a journey of stepping outside your comfort zone and learn how to tie your skills, services and products to the CLIENTS NEEDS, WANTS & DESIRES.

I have helped a few stylist with this Transitional Approach of becoming a Specialist and their business is growing. It works. It is not something to add to the salon menu, it is a new way of giving a service to clients that is based on LISTENING to the client.

Finally, using someones picture in an article who has transitioned and LOVES their natural hair is a huge mistake as she is someone who goes against the very thing you are writing about and is opposed to your approach to doing hair.

We are not saying putting ‘feathers’ in hair is ugly.

We are not saying putting ‘punk’ or ‘pastel’ colors in hair is horrid.

It would be foolish and immature to take on a approach to what some others find fasionable.

“Trash Talk” like this article is a narrow perspective on what IS a HUGE business…if you have the heart and courage to pursue it.

33. by SilverNLovingIt

On June 16, 2012 at 8:59 am

You are really over the top on this one. You should be ashamed of yourself, encouraging stylists to attempt to prey on women and their insecurities for your personal gain. And then stealing this woman’s photo? Have you no morals or sense of ethics at all??!?

While some women do wish to color their hair, many make a decision to let our grays or silvers show. While I’m only silver around the temples, it is a beautiful white and I get complimented so often on my hair. People actually ask me if I’ve had my hair “colored” this way and they think that its highlighted.

I was finished with hair color and chemicals burning my scalp a long time ago and I’m quite happy with my decision. The only thing unattractive and horrible about gray or silver hair is when someone like you preys on women and tries to convince them that their hair is horrid. Well I don’t care what you think, nor do other silver sisters. I get compliments all the time on my beautiful hair, and I’m sure they do too.

34. by Greyisok!

On June 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I believe a picture paints a 1000 words - so take a look at these two YouTube videos Anna. I think you’ll change your mind when you see these beautiful grey/silver-haired women - who are illuminated, sassy, chic, confident and empowered!

Maybe you will do another article promoting the beauty of grey/silver hair? We are not saying that women shouldn’t dye their hair - we just want choice and balance. Because we are ‘worth it too’!

35. by Diana Jewell

On June 17, 2012 at 5:12 pm

First, I would like to congratulate Scott Musgrave on his Transitional Approach to going gray. Is it such a novel idea — actually LISTENING to a client? As author of the book, “Going Gray, Looking Great,” founder of the website of the same name, and chat room http://www.cafe-gray.com, I literally have thousands of women writing in to me about embracing their glorious silvers.

I also wrote an article for HDTV.com about the five most frightening words a colorist will ever hear: “I want to go gray.”

While you feel your heart drop down to your toes (after all, she was a GOOD color customer), take a small pause before you blurt out “Why would you want to do that? It will age you 10 years.”

The truth of the matter is, you may not be ready. But your client is. She may be ready for a number of reasons. Surprisingly, it’s not all about the money.

So many times, women have been discouraged from going natural by their favorite stylist or colorist. And that’s when they decide to walk. They’ll either find a new salon, or they’ll drop out entirely.

So what can you do about it?
    1. Show her you are on her side. Tell her you will work with her, but offer her ways to make the transition easier. Suggest highlighting, lowlighting, a new layered cut, all the tricks you have up your sleeve. When you offer her your full support and your full creativity, magic happens.

2. Concentrate on the condition of her hair. Do you offer restorative services, deep conditioning, shine boosters, glazes? Give her a full menu of salon treatments and point out the products she can buy on her way out, perhaps salon proprietary products, to enhance shine, softness and provide good overall conditioning.

3. Point out all the other beauty services your salon may offer. Now that hair color isn’t the “big ticket” item, you can offer her facials, massages, mani-pedi’s, waxing, cosmetic makeovers.

4. Be her fashion and beauty expert. This works particularly well if your salon offers hair accessories or other counter impulse buys. Be influential in discussing new makeup shades. Know that gray hair often influences the perception of skintone, and offer suggestions for making subtle changes in her makeup and wardrobe palette.

5. Become the headquarters salon for silver in your city. This may sound counter-intuitive, but not when you think about the incremental business you’ll woo from other salons. These women want to find a salon “home.” They want to feel welcomed. Not dismissed because their hair isn’t up to your color standards.

This simply makes good business sense. Of course there is green in gray hair. But you have to know how to satisfy your customer.

36. by Anna Craig

On June 18, 2012 at 10:39 am

I would like to set the record straight and start out by apologizing for the misunderstanding. I was not trying to insult anyone with gray hair. There are so many women out there with gorgeous gray hair and I have dozens of clients who stay naturally gray. This article was for Stylists who are looking to build up their clientele. People are always surprised when they meet me that I don’t specialize in blue hair and Mohawks and that I actually have an older more conservative clientele. I would never force or talk anyone into coloring their hair unless that is what they came to me about. I was talking about my clientele who come to see me to cover their gray hair up and want to have color done to their hair. I have several clients who I have helped transition into their natural gray. I would never insult or belittle someone who did not want to color their hair. The photo was not chosen by me, I do not pick out the pictures the website does that, all I do is submit my articles. This was simply an article for professionals on how to build up a clientele and about a specific target market. Please accept my apology for any misunderstandings.

37. by Silllllver

On June 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

How noble of you, to have an older, more conservative clientele. Now we all know why. Because they have more MONEY, honey. “Gray hair might be bad for your clients, but it is always good for you, because you will definitely be seeing that client more often.” Shame, shame, shame on you. You are a pusher. A dye pusher. Is feeding your clients insecurities to line your pockets so second nature that you would blithely blog about it and encourage colleagues to follow suit? Wow. Transitioning is in. Dye is out. Get with it. I’m fully pewter, with long, long hair and I get stopped on the street ALL THE TIME with people, both men and women, complimenting me on my hair.

Oh, and using someone’s photo without permission is illegal. It is an invasion of privacy referred to as “Appropriation” and it is actionable in civil court.

Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

search

Top Tips for Businesses
Top Tips for Businesses

Business Building Techniques

Begin having frequent staff meetings and collaborate on business building techniques used by others that you work with. Every salon has success right inside. Get the top booker to explain how they do it. Pair the weakest with the strongest and let them work next to each other. They can learn from what they hear and see. Do the same with retail sales. Share the ways that the top stay on top.

With cross marketing other services, know who the salon leaders are and copy them. Your staff becomes a resource to each other and by sharing dialouge that works, we all win.

Geno Stampora, Stampora Consulting Inc.
www.genostampora.com